Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Four Cards From 1952 Topps

I was digging around in my "cool cards" box the other day and found these, most of which I'd forgotten I had. The 1952 set is something I like to dabble in, even though I know I'll never be able to afford the major cards from the set on my budget. However, if I can find commons cheap enough, then I'll definitely grab some. Some of these I've show on my old blog but for a quick blog post on a lazy Tuesday, I figured they'd be fun to revisit.



Cass Michaels played 12 seasons in the majors from 1943-1954. In 1952 though, he was well traveled. He started with the Washington Senators, was then traded to the St Louis Browns in mid-May. The Browns placed him on waivers in August and he was scooped up by the Philadelphia A's. I think it's pretty cool that he played for three different defunct teams in one season. I can't tell what stadium is in the background here. I don't think it was Griffith Stadium because they didn't have bleachers in right field. Also, the people in the far left of the background look like their in a boat for whatever reason.


Ken Raffensberger was probably the top pitcher on a 6th place 1952 Reds squad that won 69 games and went through three managers during the course of the season. Pitching in 38 games during the 1952 season, he went 17-13 with a 2.81 ERA and led the league with 6 shutouts. All of that was good enough to finish in the top 25 of MVP voting. Over a 15-year career (1939-1941, 1943-1954) with the Reds, Cubs, Phillies and Cardinals, he had one all-star appearance (1944) and finished in the top 20 of MVP voting (1949, 1951). As far as this card goes, the background seems like the Polo Grounds but I can't be totally sure.


This was the first ever 1952 Topps card I bought. I remember seeing it for like 3 or 4 bucks in a bargain bin at a local card shop. I figured I'd at least get it so I could at least say that I had a 1952 Topps in my collection. Anyway, Friend wasn't even in the majors in 1952 but bounced around with several teams like the Browns in addition to the Red Sox, Tigers, Indians and Cubs. 


Dale Mitchell was an all-star in 1952 for a really, really good Indians team that finished in 2nd place with a 93-61-1 record, a mere two games behind the Yankees. He was also an All-Star in 1949. He finished in MVP voting four times (1947, 1949, 1951 and 1952) and played the majority of his career in Cleveland, with the exception of 19 games as a member of the Dodgers at the end of the 1956 season. Of the 1952s I have, this is probably my favorite because Cleveland Stadium is the background and it just has a feel of being bright and fun.

Hope you enjoyed this quick post and these cards. I've got another one of these type posts lined up with 1955 Bowman coming soon. 


 

3 comments:

  1. Attractive cards. I think I only have one 1952 Topps card, but I hope to add a few more. The Raffensberger stood out. I wonder if he signed his full name all the time. His last name is so long, plus he adds his middle name to his signature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The background on that Mitchell is really great! I've made a note to self so that I can remember to look for a copy at some later date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic '52s, especially the Dale Mitchell. Can't wait to see your '55 Bowman cards!

    ReplyDelete